SuperGrid Institute brings together 180 employees of 28 different nationalities in a dynamic environment in Lyon. As an independent research and innovation centre, we specialise in the development of technologies for the future energy transmission grid, the “supergrid”, including HVDC and MVDC technologies.
Multidisciplinary research centre with advanced simulation capabilities and multiple test platforms, including numerous associated laboratories, SuperGrid Institute uses its expertise to provide a wide range of services and solutions to help its customers develop electrical systems, equipment and components. We are experts in grid architecture and work to ensure grid security and stability while enabling the integration of intermittent renewable energy sources. For more information, please visit our website: www.supergrid-institute.com
In addition to its strongly developed activities in the field of High Voltage Direct Current (HVDC) systems, SuperGrid Institute aims at expanding its activities in the field of Medium Voltage Direct Current (MVDC) applications (distribution networks, renewable energy collector networks). In this context, the Architecture & Systems programme is seeking to strengthen its position by recruiting an engineer to focus more specifically on MVDC and HVDC system architecture studies.
Objectives / Missions
- Optimal architectures for MVDC systems
To define and promote optimal architecture principles for MVDC systems, in relation to the needs and requirements of different potential applications (e.g. photovoltaic production systems, wind power, urban networks), and in close collaboration with market players (manufacturers, grid operators, project developers, etc.). This mission will be carried out in collaboration with several SuperGrid Institute programmes through an associated transversal development axis.
Contribute to the development of knowledge on MVDC system architectures and identify potential technological locks that remain to be resolved. To do this, it will be possible to refer to the feedback from work carried out with external partners/clients. It will then be a question of proposing and validating solutions to remove these barriers, in particular through the development of tools and methods for the study and design of MVDC system architectures and the specification of the various components.
Helping to orient our solutions to meet the needs and requirements of the market, in order to promote them to external partners/customers. This will include promoting MVDC applications to market players and gaining a better understanding of the needs and requirements in relation to different applications. The implementation of collaborations with external partners (e.g. grid operators), the participation in dedicated working groups (e.g. WG CIGRE, standardisation) and the realisation of consulting services studies for clients will be means to achieve this objective.
- Insulation coordination of MVDC / HVDC systems
To appropriate all the HVDC systems insulation coordination know-how developed during a PhD thesis within the Architectures & Systems Programme and to set up methods and tools to be able to carry out studies for clients on this topic. This mission will be carried out in close collaboration with the person in charge of grid consulting services activities for electrical networks. As an extension, the insulation coordination principles and design for MVDC system is a part of this mission.
- Carrying out studies as part of consulting services for external clients
The aim here is to contribute to the realisation of grid consulting study works for external clients, in fields close to the two previous missions. Where appropriate, this may involve taking responsibility for such customer projects.
- Electrical engineering
- Medium-voltage electrical systems (MVAC and MVDC)
- High voltage systems (HVDC)
- A knowledge of high and medium voltage electrical substation equipment would be appreciated
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in one or more of the above mentioned fields of application
- Modelling and simulation tools for electrical grids (EMT, phasors and load flow)
- Electrical grid architectures (medium and high voltage)
- System studies of electrical grids (power flow studies, stability studies, short-circuit current calculations, etc.).
- Relationship between partners and clients within the framework of collaborative projects or consulting services
- Fluent English (spoken, written)
- Capacity for analysis and synthesis
- Location: ITE SuperGrid Institute, Villeurbanne (Lyon – 69), France
- Contract start date: Permanent contract – to start as soon as possible.
SuperGrid Institute is an equal opportunities employer. We respect and value the diversity of our employees, their backgrounds and their professional experience. We believe in equality and take affirmative action to ensure that discrimination has no place in our recruitment process nor our company.