SuperGrid Institute recruits a development engineer F/M
« DC switchgear design engineer »
The Institute for Energy Transition “SuperGrid” is a collaborative research platform in the field of low-carbon energy, bringing together the expertise of industry and public research in the logic of public-private co-investment and close cooperation between all stakeholders of the sector.
The institute aims to develop technologies for the Supergrid that is the future electricity transmission network, using direct current and alternating current at very high voltages, designed to transport large-scale energy from renewable sources remote from load centers, which will be in connection with flexible storage resources, to manage the intermittent nature of renewable energy and also to ensure the stability and availability of the network.
In the frame of the “high voltage substation equipment” department the necessary high voltage switches for on-shore and off-shore applications are being developed. This high voltage DC switchgear can be configured in many ways to adapt to client requirements. We are looking for an engineer to optimize designs for cost and volume to make an attractive product. The expected result is a CAD design with a description of the switchgear performance, volume and cost.
Objectives / Missions
With support from design engineers:
- Optimize the design and reduce the footprint of an HVDC circuit-breaker.
- Be able to estimate effects (forces, heating, high frequency resistance, stray inductance) that result from the operation of the circuit- breaker.
- Develop models that estimate the cost of the switchgear in development. Some autonomy is expected in adapting the electrical scheme and physical arrangement of the subcomponents to requirement specifications.
- Specify the boundary conditions (distance to other components, mass, ) of components for a drafter to be able to implement the component in the CAD model.
- Participate in the design of ancillary systems that support the operation of the switchgear.
- Participate in the interact with the sales department to make attractive offers.
Profile of the candidate
Master in electrical engineering with some years of experience in product development. A client oriented and application driven person with naturally open and communicative attitude is expected.
- Ability to define the trade-offs between performance, space and cost.
- Ability to anticipate and identify difficulties of arranging electrical HV subassemblies in 3D.
- Fluency in French and technical English in oral and written form is mandatory (at least CEFRL level B2). Knowledge of a third language is a welcome.
- Ability to use software to simulate electrostatic and electromechanical (g. Comsol, ATP-EMTP, Matlab-Simulink) behavior of the system alone and in the network.
- Innovative, pragmatic, curious.
- Capability to summarize results and to draw conclusions.
- Capability to lead a project team comprising manufacturers, drafter, technicians and colleagues.
- Workplace: SuperGrid Institute, Villeurbanne (69), France. Occasional travel in Europe.
- Contact: please e-mail your resume (CV) and letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org